Today I am going to be sharing with you a recipe which we have used a couple of times. Paella is something which we have had a lot as ready meals when we used to live in York without a microwave. Recently we though we would make a paella dish because we used to love it so much. This made me search Pinterest for Paella because I want to save money instead of getting a ready meal. This Paella actually made was as nice as the ones which we used to buy. It of course, is going to be healthier than picking a ready meal up. Today I am going to share the recipe which we used for the Spanish paella.
Ingredient – Serves 6
Large pinch saffron strands
1 Vegetable or Chicken Stock make up 600ML
3 tbsp olive oil
125g Chorizo roughly chopped
500g Boneless, skinless chicken breasts chopped
1 Onion finely chopped
3 Garlic Cloves finely chopped
1 Red Pepper deseeded and finely chopped
2 tsp paprika
250g Spanish Paella Rice
4 Medium Tomatoes roughly chopped
75g Frozen Peas
250g cooked prawns with shells on
- Stir the saffron strands into the stock and set aside to infuse while you prepare the rest of the paella.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in large deep frying pan with a lid. Tip in the chorizo and fry for about 3 mins until crisp and the oil has been released.
- Remove the chorizo and drain on kitchen paper, leaving the oil in the pan.
- Stir the chicken into the pan and fry over a high heat for 7-8 mins until the chicken is cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a bowl and set aside.
- Pour another 1 tbsp of oil into the pan, tip in the chopped onion and garlic and stir-fry for 4-5 mins, until softened and just starting to colour.
- Stir in the pepper and paprika with the remaining tablespoon of oil and stir-fry for a further 1-2 mins. The pan should have lots of crispy, brown bits on the bottom, which will all add flavour.
- With the heat still quite high, quickly stir in the rice so it is well-coated in the oil, then pour in the saffron-infused stock plus 450ml boiling water, scraping up the sticky brown bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Return the browned chicken pieces to the pan, then add the chopped tomatoes.
- Cover the pan and cook on a medium heat for 10 mins, stirring once or twice.
- Scatter the peas, prawns and fried chorizo over the top, cover again and leave to cook a further 5 mins, or until the rice is just cooked and most of the liquid in the pan has been absorbed.
- Remove the pan from the heat, put the lid on and leave to rest for 5 mins. Stir a few times to mix the ingredients, season to taste.
Have you ever made Paella from scratch?