Pizza is something which I have fancied a lot throughout this pregnancy. However, I know it not something which I can have all the time. More so because of the cost rather than anything else. Recently we decided to make our own calzone to see if this was going to be enough to stop me wanting pizza more. I could not believe how much of a success the smokey calzone was so today I am going to be sharing with you the recipe which we used. For sure this is going to be a recipe make again.
Ingredient- Serves 2
1/2 red onion, 1cm diced
1 red pepper, 3cm diced
1 leek, 1cm diced
250g cherry tomatoes, halved lengthways
1 tablespoon flour
2 balls ready made pizza dough
2 tablespoons tomato puree
1 ball mozzarella
1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- Preheat your oven to 200/ gas mark 6,
- Prep the onion, pepper, and leek. Then cut the cherry tomatoes in half lengthways.
- Place all the veggies on a baking tray. Coat in 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt and a few good grinds of black pepper. Cook on the top shelf of the oven for 20 minutes.
- Chop the Chorizo inn 1/2cm diced. Heat two teaspoons of olive oil in a frying pan. Cook over a medium heat once hot add the Chorizo. Cook for a few moments
- Dust the surface with flour, roll out the pizza rounds, around 25cm then placed on a lightly oiled baking tray.
- Spread the tomato puree thinly over the pizza base, leaving a border of 3cm at the edge.
- Once your veggies are soft remove from the oven. Divide them between both pizza bases but only cover half of it because your going to fold the other half over later.
- Tear the mozzerella on top of your veggies and sprinkle over the chorizo and italian herbs. Turn our oven to maximum temperature.
- To make the calzone. run a wet finger around the border of each pizza base. Then fold over and press the edges down. Cook on the top shelf of your oven 8-10 minutes until just browned.
- Served with chips or salad.
For sure I did not realise it was this easy to make calzone. For sure this is going to be something which I make in the future because it is so simple. I know this is one which Jess is going to enjoy so I think I may have to make it with her.
Have you ever made calzone?