The festive period is upon us which means that there are going to be leftovers after the big day. This is all people seem to eat between Christmas and New Year. Today I am going to share with you a recipe which I found for any left over pigs in blankets. We actually made this a couple of weeks ago because there it is highly unlikely that any pigs in blankets will be left after Christmas dinner in this house. Today I am going to share with you the recipe for pigs in blankets carbonara.
Ingredient- Serves 4
40g leftover mixed nuts
1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
1 medium onion finely chopped
10 pigs in blankets
2 large garlic cloves crushed
50g hard cheese
2 tablespoons double cream
As many chilli flakes as you like
- Dry fry the mixed nut in a hot pay for 3-5 minutes until these are toasted. You can leave these out if you do not like nuts or have an allergy.
- Add 1 tablespoon of rapeseed oil into a pan and then add a finely chopped onion and left over pigs in blankets. You can add more than 10 if you have more left I think we added about 12.
- Cover the pan and cook on a medium heat for before adding the crushed garlic. Cook uncovered for a further 2 minutes.
- Cook the 300g spaghetti according to how the packaging tells you. Once this has been cooked drain the water however, keep two tablespoons of the cooking water.
- Grate any left over cheese or 50g of hard cheese
- Whisk together 3 eggs and 2 tablespoons of double cream with 40g of the hard cheese. Add however many chilli flakes you dare this gives the Carbonara some flavour which I love.
- Tip the egg mixture over the pigs in blanket mixture.
- Then mix in the spaghetti make sure the pasta is well coated by the mixture.
- Sprinkle over the nuts and any remaining cheese before serving.
Is pigs in blankets Carbonara something which you would have thought about making with the leftovers? For sure it is a meal I will be making again