Chinese food is one which is my weakness I love it for sure. However, having takeaways can be very expensive let alone the amount of salt that can go into the meals. At the moment I am trying to eat a little bit more healthier and save money. So we made our own homemade Chinese last week I shared the special chow mein and today it is the turn of the beef in black bean sauce. This is something which we order more times than not when we order a Chinese takeaway. We found that when we made it there was more flavour than when we have had it from the takeaway and for sure more sauce.
Ingredient serves 4
2tbsp rice win
120g sachet black been sauce
100ml cold water
400 rump or sirloin steak
1 medium onion
2 tbsp sunflower oil
2 peppers cut into 3cm strips
2 garlic cloves very thinly sliced
20g ginger finely sliced
Utensils- small bowl, spoon, frying pan
- Mixed the cornflour with the rice wine in a small bowl until smooth. Following this stir in the black bean sauce and water and put to one side.
- Trim all the fat from the beef and cut into 5cm wide strips then season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Fry the beef until browned. This will take around 6 minutes. Remove the meat from the pan.
- Stir fry the onion and peppers for another 4 minutes. Or until they are softened and lightly coloured. Add the garlic and ginger for another minute.
- Return the meat to the pan and pour over the sauce and stir fry for another 2-3 minutes. Or until the beef is hot and glossy.
What meal do you order from the takeaway and wish you could make it home for a fraction of the price.